Welcome to Xbox Talk!

XboxTalk is the premier Xbox One Forum and XBox One News Site
Register Now

220v - 240v power supply?

Discussion in 'Xbox One Hardware and Accessories' started by JoakimGH, Dec 23, 2013.

1. JoakimGH

JoakimGH n00b

Hi there,

I recently bought an Xbox one in the US and brought it home to Norway, Europe. Of course i didn't think about the voltage difference, so i plugged it in and fried the whole power supply. I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure its dead (it took out the power in my apartment). The xbox one hasn't been released in my country yet, so i can't order a new one from the xbox service page. I bought a china-made 100-240v supply on ebay which works, but it has an internal fan that is unbelievably noisy and annoying.

Therefore i wonder if someone knows where i can buy an original power supply (if it even exists), or if i will be able to buy one from microsoft once it gets released in my country.
    How can i be able to get hold of one? If someone has one for sale, name your price!:biggrin-new:

2. Stryder XCVI

Stryder XCVI leveled up

This almost happened to me, I plugged it into my surge protector with a lot of stuff going and it made a bunch of static and cut out, and I had to reset my surge protector and plug the PSU back in. Sadly, there is nowhere I have found that sells just the PSU :/.

3. Smoking Joe

Smoking Joe n00b

Ok, i admit it --- i did the same thing.

i am honestly stunned about the M$ hw design philosophies/decisions - my first impression is holy crap and i bought it...

i find the initial post a bit contradictory - did the power supply die or is there an automatic fuse in it? It seems from the text that you have managed to resurrect it by using a 220-110 transformer. Correct?

4. Mark joyce

Mark joyce n00b

when I plugged my son's US market one in over here with a uk lead it blew the fuse in the plug do you think it will have blown the unit as well?
    I am looking for a uk power supply unit any ideas

5. Smoking Joe

Smoking Joe n00b

I am pretty convinced that the fuse in the power supply protects the xbox unit.
    The initial post in this thread also indicates that.

It seems pretty painful to open the psu and fix the fuse yourself. M$ has intentionally designed it to not allow an easy fuse replacement. This is probably wise, but they should of course also ship dual voltage psu's world wide.

Anyway, my recommendation for you would be to use the regular support channel, i.e. Register your box at myservice.xbox.com and request an exchange/repair of your broken psu. According to others, they will ship you a psu for your "home country" as a replacement.

I shipped my broken psu today and can't really tell yet.

br

6. Mark joyce

Mark joyce n00b

I have spoken to MS and they have tried to charge me £104 for a new psu I have to send the old us psu to the european support centre czech republic and they will replace it so fingers crossed

7. JoakimGH

JoakimGH n00b

I have tried to order a new power supply through my service.xbox.com, with no luck. I tried to choose the "replace accessory, power supply" option, but all it says is "no records found. sorry there are no accessories found". Anyone having the same issues? I haven't tried to call microsoft yet, as the xbox one has not been released in my country yet- i highly doubt i would get any help there.

And yes, the supply protects the unit itself.

8. tudoriq

tudoriq n00b

9. JoakimGH

JoakimGH n00b

Yes, get back to me as soon as you receive it and tell how it performs

10. dguggen2

dguggen2 n00b

11. anders

anders n00b

Yeah, i have the same problem, so did it work for you?

12. anders

anders n00b

did it work for you? and does it make a lot of noise?

13. JoakimGH

JoakimGH n00b

Yes that looks similar to the one i have. It works, but is EXTREMELY loud. I have the power supply unit inside a closet myself, but can still hear it loudly.. If you really need a supply now it is an option, but i highly suggest waiting for the xbox to be released in your country and buying the original supply.

14. Epic Trixie

Epic Trixie leveled up

Just on a side note... Every Gamestop employee I've talked to has told me to never ever plug your Xbox into a surge protector. It has It's own built in surge protector and it cancels out if you plug it in to another surge protector, and your warranty will be voided if they find out you did this. IDK, this is just what I've been told, just passing the info along.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xbox One Forums mobile app

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  15. Smoking Joe

Smoking Joe n00b

Just a short update from my side.
    As I wrote in my previous post, I did register my device at MS and reported the problem via their online support service.
    As others in the thread, I bought my XB1 in US and i live in Sweden.
    So - yes you can get support on your xb1 even though your home country don't sell it.
    When you register your broken PSU you will get a receipt plus an instruction of what to do next. In my case, they asked me to ship the broken unit to czech republic support center. Yesterday, I got a message that they have shipped me a replacement. (According to others they should ship a psu for the country of my residence - based on my MS registration). I expect it to arrive next week.

Personally, i wouldn't buy a copy or a 3rd party PSU. MS must support their customers no matter where they live. i have not done anything illegal. It is MS that have decided to sell a 110v only PSU and made it impossible to replace a fuse in it. I am willing to pay for the replacement, but so far it looks like I will get away with it for free (if you disregard the shipping cost of the broken device).

Stay tuned - i will report on what they shipped me when it arrives.