Welcome to Xbox Talk!

XboxTalk is the premier Xbox One Forum and XBox One News Site
Register Now

'App'lying for mobile... on mobiles!

Discussion in 'Xbox One Chat' started by XDonny, Sep 13, 2017.

1. XDonny

XDonny l337

Clever title if I do say so myself XD.

Okay but on to business. This is mostly directed at @dascrow. You've done a very good job at making the site more accessible. It's formatted in a mobile configuration so it drains less battery when connecting to the site and everything is easy for the eyes. It's also good to have a mod actually working on the site again and such and we all commend you on the job.

But there's one thing that I see on our discord app coming along multiple times (usually a day =.=) and that's the app version of the site. I know that accessing the site is now mobile friendly so allocating resources to an app is basically redundant, but some/alot of us really miss the accessibility of going into the app and just doing our do. It's not the same when going into an internet browser, clicking the link and find the site as it is. The app version was a little more app friendly with basically being a hamburger menu to access all that you want. It was also faster due to it being so compact in comparison to the site.

I think most who miss the site are just a little too used to not having change... I know I am because I'm one of the most vocalised. So I would kindly, kindly, Kindly! ask you to make the app version operational again. It can just be the same way it used to be what I'm concerned. I liked it the way it was. What say you, can you make that happen? :D

Thanks from all of us who want the app back (the others who want the app are gonna reply to this thread... XD)

- XDonny

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. TH3 0V3RLORD

TH3 0V3RLORD Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice thread Donny. I'm 1 who would like the app back. And as Donny said it does not even need to change. I liked how the old app was.

3. RealTime

RealTime coder

As a former want to app to come back member, I can say that I am quite satisfied with the mobile web page and no longer need the app.

I personally think this mobile web page is snappy as any app. It also already has a hamburger menu. I don't know how you have missed that. Works just as good as if not better than the app.

Now correct me if I am wrong but I believe that it was already stated that a nap would be difficult with this form software due to the software not being very app friendly. So you want somebody who's not even getting paid, to fight an uphill battle to make an app, for a forum software that is not app friendly, all because you can't bookmark the site on your mobile browser? I am teasing of course, but you get the logic...

• Like Like x 1
  4. XDonny

XDonny l337

@RealTime,

Like I said, I like the site too, but it's not the same. As I also stated, with the website you either have to 'app' the link of the site so that when you click on the app you get direct access to the site or have to access it through a browser by way of 'most used sites' or bookmark. Which are at least 2 taps (opening browser (1) -> opening bookmarks (2) -> click on site's bookmark (3) laziness rules xD).

I have not missed it, but like I stated on another chat, to get to the hamburger menu, you have to scroll up so you can access it and this wasn't the case in the app.

I vaguely remember that, but I actually have no idea anymore to be honest if that was said. But basically, yea! I don't say that (s)he has to, but it would be swell if there could be an app. And cant it have to form factors or something? You know what they say, labors of love get rewarded or, you gotta spend money to make money.

I'm joshing...(jossing?) you of course too, but you get my intention.

5. dascrow

dascrow Admin Team Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

I understand you miss it, but as I mentioned before it will be limited and not support all of the features that the new software does. It's something I'll look into though.

The entire reason we upgraded to the new platform was to increase activity on the site. The site was nearly dead a couple of months ago. Days would go by without a post. Since the conversion we've had the most activity we've had in about a year. So I would like to think we are moving in the right direction!

• Like Like x 2
  6. XDonny

XDonny l337

Give me limited access but one I know any day over something new and fresh. Lolz yea, I'm one of those ppl.

I know what you mean and I've definitely seen activity increase. Thats why I praised your hard work. But like now you're missing one/maybe two long time members since we don't log on as much as we did with the app, and I'd like to think that long time members with a history of being active are initially better than a couple new members who might only stay until their question is answered.

But if you could look into it, please. As I and others stated, if it's possible to keep the old app the same, we'll be happier than a chicken nugget getting fried!

7. Part of the reason the site was dying was because there was hardly any active staff higher up. No news editors for years & a lot of people at moderated status weren't active, which left about 6 active members on forum.net holding things together without much support! The app was how I discovered forum.net 4yrs ago & was introduced to the most friendly helpful people from around the world I used the app daily & it was my main way to be part of this forum. I still check it regularly hoping it's been fixed. As primarily a mobile forum member/user the app is handy & ready to go where as the browser option is slow & clunky. I think having the app back in some shape or form will give the forum options to a wider audience. The younger generation will most likely only have a mobile phone as an internet source & the app would be a great option, it's the younger generation that will carry this forum forward for years to come. SO COME ON & BRING BACK THE APP! You know it makes sense guvnor!!!

I would just like to point out that I totally appreciate all the good work that @dascrow has done in getting this forum back on track if it wasn't for this dude the forum may have crashed and burned!

I'm an app enthusiast who is like a dog who's had his bone stolen at the moment!

• Like Like x 2
  8. TH3 0V3RLORD

TH3 0V3RLORD Super Moderator Staff Member

That was just beautiful and poetic

• Like Like x 2
  9. XDonny

XDonny l337

I
    I'm actually tearing up. Oh wait thats cuz I'm sick... still beautiful tho.

@arnibaranari <-- what he said xD

• Like Like x 1
  10. RealTime

RealTime coder

That is just way too many steps to get to the webpage ya fool. You add the page to your home screen on your phone. Then one tap and you're in. No need to make it more complicated than it needs to be man. lol

11. XDonny

XDonny l337

@RealTime reading back I see that I didn't have that in my suggestion (thought I put it in somewhere tho...) but yea, you're right. Life's complicated. Just like water... So simple, yet so complex... XD

12. dascrow

dascrow Admin Team Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that the site should be available through Tapatalk again. Let me know if you have any issues.

13. XDonny

XDonny l337

@dascrow, one step closer to being the greatest. Now only the dedicated app with limited functionality and I'll be overjoyed and you'll be the GOAT!

My heart almost skipped a beat when I saw that you posted on this thread, then I saw TapaTalk and thought "WHYYY!!! Why almost a heart stoppage fot that" :p

• Like Like x 1