Welcome to Xbox Talk!

XboxTalk is the premier Xbox One Forum and XBox One News Site
Register Now

Why are there stutters during races?

Discussion in 'Forza Motorsport 5' started by Gamin996, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Gamin996

Gamin996 n00b

I've Googled this issue at length, and it seems a lot of FM5 users experience stutters during races, whether it's online or offline, hot lapping or full grid single race.

The stutters only appear for a split second but break the immersion, particularly around turns.

Are you facing this issue? What can you do to get rid of it permanently? Apart from reinstalls and all that hard reset stuff?

2. Gamin996

Gamin996 n00b

Geee, thanks for the feedback guys; love how active this forum is.. !

3. azraelomega

azraelomega SEAL

I can't say I've noticed stutters during any races. Is there any track in particular your having problems with?

let me know and I can do a few runs and see if I notice anything. Maybe we can establish a common pattern between us.

things it could be if the problem is present for both of us is:

Texture Streaming
    Scene Complexity

as I said let me know and I'll try to replicate your issue.

4. Soultrappa

Soultrappa pwned

Inpatient much?

5. Lethal_NFS

Lethal_NFS coder

Umm, he waited 10 days for a reply...

6. Soultrappa

Soultrappa pwned

No u dont get it, im asking if hes often an inpatient

7. Gamin996

Gamin996 n00b

Ah, finally some concrete feedback! Thanks for sparing some time to look into this.

Well, if you'll go to Lemans Bugatti, you'll notice it right away after the first chicane, as you take the two downhill right-handers. It will happen somewhere around there. Then it'll happen again during the final two right-handers where the ferris wheel comes into view. It might happen somewhere in between that as well.

On Lemans Old Mulsanne and Full, after the fast right-hander you hit the long straight, it'll happen somewhere in the beginning.

I remember noticing it on Silverstone as I'm about to hit the straight - I think it was the national circuit.

On almost every lap, it will happen at the exact same spot. Test it out with both a full grid and hot lapping, if you can.

I've noticed stutters on Silverstone, Indiannapolis, Panorama, Long Beach, Nurb GP and The Ring, and on occasions Spa and Laguna as well. In some cases, the stutter will happen at the exact same spot, or somewhere close to the 'original stutter spot'. The frequency is random; it usually happens 2 to 3 times. As you do more laps, it probably happens twice or maybe once.

The Lemans stutter is the most noticeable, while on the other tracks, you might barely notice it at all. Is your TV 60 Hz? Are you upping the refresh rate using motion enhancements?

It's really hard to miss (stutter), especially when you're going really fast or the screen is panning quickly as you take a sharp turn.

From what I can tell, it's definitely a texture streaming issue owing to the X1's not so fast HDD. Ironically, I've hardly ever noticed it happening on R.Atlanta, R.America or Top Gear.

If I'm experiencing them, then everybody should right? I mean ya'll on the 500 GB drive I'm assuming?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  8. azraelomega

azraelomega SEAL

Had a good few races in a row and do get some of the stutters. It may be subjective but I don't get them nearly as much as you seem to be. I have my Forza installation on my external but not sure if this is making a difference.

9. Gamin996

Gamin996 n00b

Okay, now we're getting somewhere.

The micro-stutters do happen in almost every race, but not necessarily. The other day I got it at Laguna and until recently, I got none at the same track. It's most noticeable on Lemans where you'll even find texture pop ups on trackside objects/structures.

You won't notice them much in cockpit view, but you might see them in bumper or hood cam. It's a quick hiccup, not even a pause, as if the screen lags for a split second.

Well, if you're getting them even on an external HDD, then it's the game and there is no fix. Is your external HDD running at 7200 RPMs?

Could you please take a few mins to run this test for me?

Select a FULL grid race in free play, and do at least 3 laps on any six tracks you like (try to include The Ring, Long Beach and Lemans in this test)

The purpose of this test will simply be to determine how many stutters we get on each lap, although they will not be that common. Mine aren't that common either, but definitely caught me by surprise seeing how hiccup free Forza was on last gen.

Appreciate the response, and will really appreciate if you could help me out with the test. Perhaps we can find a common pattern.

Cheers.

10. Bawls

Bawls n00b

I get this too you can notice it at around 6 seconds in this was with the 458 in test drive mode

I does it will any car on that track with any race mode

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2017
  11. Gamin996

Gamin996 n00b

That's right. It's just in the game, nothing can be done about it. :)

BTW, it's interesting you chose Lemans, because it is most noticeable on this track.

Best thing we can do is just enjoy the game as is. Although, Horizon 2's stutters are very rare. Maybe in a 2 hour session you'll notice it once or twice.

Then again, FM5 doesn't have texture and shadow pop up like some of H2's areas.

Dang, nobody told me this generation was not going to be perfect! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2017