Welcome to Xbox Talk!

XboxTalk is the premier Xbox One Forum and XBox One News Site
Register Now

Xbox Branded Pot in the Future? Microsoft Invests in a Legal Weed Startup

Discussion in 'Xbox One News' started by dgstorm, Jun 17, 2016.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm <span style="font-weight: bold; color: #6F7070">Ed

[​IMG]

Microsoft just invested in a startup company called "Kind." What makes this newsworthy is that this company's purpose is to track marijuana plants from "seed to sale," and help legal dealers comply with laws. Yep... it's a legal pot company. Microsoft can do this because the sale of marijuana is legal in Washington state.

The fact that Microsoft has taken this step is a potentially big risk, but could open a doorway to legitimacy. Most banks and conglomerates in corporate America still see the legal weed industry as sketchy at best. Now that one of the largest tech titans in the world has taken that first plunge, we might see the reluctance begin to fade as more corporations see the potential for profit in that industry.

It isn't likely we will see Xbox branded pot available anytime soon, but it's still a bold move for the company, and could lead to a larger acceptance across the country. Here's a statement from Microsoft's Kimberly Nelson, "We do think there will be significant growth. As the industry is regulated, there will be more transactions, and we believe there will be more sophisticated requirements and tools down the road."

Source: The New York Times

2. RealTime

RealTime coder

I don't mean to be the buzz kill here but marijuana is not legal in the US under federal law. So there is no legal drug dealer or any legal pot company or any legal weed industry in the US. There is a reason why Corporate America hasn't touched this. No one wants to make any kind of investment where the Feds could roll in and confiscate all your inventory and money for no reason at all. Pot repositories in Cali are still getting raided and there is nothing they can do. I think presenting any of this as legal is a disservice. Don't get me wrong. I am not against this in the least. I just think people should be forewarned.

3. Sounds like your a bit out of date.

https://m.mic.com/articles/126303/w...-recreational-and-medicinal-states#.6RPx0tFPH

4. The first two states to legalize recreational marijuana have collectively raked in at least $200 million in marijuana tax revenue, according to the latest tax data — and they’re putting those dollars to good use.

http://time.com/4037604/colorado-marijuana-tax-revenue/

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  5. RealTime

RealTime coder

Sounds like you are a bit misinformed my friend.

It does not matter what the states do because according to The Federal Government and U.S. Controlled Substances Act, marijuana is still 100 percent illegal. It is still a schedule 1 drug. Federal law trumps state law. The fact they don't enforce it everywhere doesn't make it any less illegal.

Now I am glad we've had this discussion because I found out something I didn't know. Rumor has it that the DEA plans to change the classification of marijuana from schedule 1 to schedule 2 on or around August 1st. That would make it legal for marijuana by prescription only. Recreational use would still be illegal under federal law.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  6. Marijuana is legalized in the above states. It may be illegal under federal government but all of these states have passed the bill. Police aren't waiting outside medical marijuana dispensaries in these states to arrest people. People are actually moving into these states so they can legally reap the benefits that medical marijuana provides.
    If you want to be extreme then your right, in the end marijuana is illegal in the USA but if you say that in one of those states they will laugh at you and blow smoke in your face.

7. On a side note, stocks for "pot companies" are on a tremendous rise in the USA which is why Microsoft is tapping in.

8. RealTime

RealTime coder

This was all I was trying to say. I am not against any of this in the least. I think that we should have it legalized. Can you say good bye national debt? Marijuana is the fastest growing industry in the history and also the most profitable ever. You are correct. The DEA never waited outside and arrested people. They rushed in and raided the dispensaries and confiscated all their money and product. Though from what I can tell they have calmed down with the raids recently. I am guessing due to the rumored reclassification to schedule 2 coming soon.

All these state laws that have been passed say is that this state won't prosecute you for it. In the states that only have passed for medical marijuana, if you don't have a prescription then they will prosecute you. The good news is a lot of states are decriminalizing it so it is no longer a felony for personal private use. The amount for personal use varies state to state.

9. watyegotlyk

watyegotlyk coder

mental health ? lolol

10. watyegotlyk

watyegotlyk coder

I smoked it for years from the age of 13/14 to 27 and I can honestly say there's years of my life I can't remember I was just living in stoned haze

best thing I ever done was stop smoking it

for years all I done was go to work then get stoned then repeat not being arsed to do anything ever

just my opinion there will be a lot of happy smokers out there but you don't realise what it's doing to you till you don't smoke it

11. Please elaborate.

12. watyegotlyk

watyegotlyk coder

well from personal experience I know a few pals who are definitely having mental health problems after smoking it for 30 odd years

13. Ok, just not sure why I was quoted.

14. Morrison

Morrison ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Threads

Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. Replies:
    Views:
  2. Replies:
    Views: